Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Small Family Blues

Please don't let my title send the wrong message. I love my family very much, but I always thought our family would be bigger. I am amazed by large families. I love to watch the way they work. One family in our community has become good friends of ours and I just love to be invited over to their home for an event. It is usually an event whenever we are there, no matter what the occasion. There are lists by all the bowls to tell what needs to be done to fill them. I love that. I just step in and start helping. No one has to tell me what to do. I don't have to ask if I can help. It is just assumed that everyone will just look at what needs to be done and do it.

I wish that we would have been able to have more children. I KNOW Ben would have loved a brother or sister. I have come to peace with the fact that this is what God had planned for us, and it is not for me to understand, but I do, from time to time, long for more.

On a much more shallow note, I would love to make a large dinner and not have to eat it for days. I am not big on leftovers. I know, I can share, and I do. I just think it would be fun to sit down for a meal with a large family to eat a big dinner where there are arguments on who gets to finish the last bit in the bowl. No, I am not a bad cook. In fact, I think I am a pretty good cook. I love to do it. There are just not enough people in our house to eat it all without having leftovers for days. This goes for baking too. I would like to bake more often, but then the three of us eat more of it than we should. Okay, you are right, I could share or freeze. I know, I know. I just wanted to whine. Thanks for letting me!

You can invite your family to my house if you like! It would be nice to not put leftovers in the fridge! When do you want to come?

No comments: