Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Addiction





































A month or so ago Glenda posted on having "Egg Roll Guts" for dinner. It got me thinking about the days when I used to make egg rolls from scratch. I love how blogging does that! I decided I needed to brush off the skills and try again. This time, however, I knew I would be making them in spring roll wrappers not egg roll wrappers like our favorite Chinese joint, Chi Tung. So out I went, happy that they were easy to find here in Chi town! I cut the veggies up small. You can use what you wish. I used chicken, celery, cabbage, snow peas, and carrots on this night. I stir fried them up in a little oil for about a minute. I then added a mixture of soy sauce, pepper, water, and corn starch. Poured that in and stir fried about 4 more minutes. I then drained the whole mess so it wouldn't make the wrappers soggy. I made a paste of egg whites and flour which worked quite well for keeping them together. We friend them in peanut oil. Couldn't do that for just everyone, like our Oberdieck friends, but it makes them really yummy! We ended up making them for Christmas this year. Everyone loved them. I had extra. I froze them to see what would happen. I put them in the freezer before being fried. I took them out and put them in the microwave for a little bit first. They were perfect! I justify eating them because they have veggies in the! Tee Hee!!! Hope you give it a whirl. It is a lot of fun!

1 comment:

Susie Buetow said...

We love making and eating egg rolls! I don't usually use peanut oil though. I"ll have to consider using that next time!!!!