Friday, November 7, 2008

Happy 60th Birthday Dad!


This past weekend we went to visit Rich's family in Peoria, Illinois. We were celebrating his dad's 60th birthday! We all went to dinner at a place called Fairview Chicken Farm. They have wonderful fried chicken and yummy corn fritters. It was a nice night. Rich was able to see some of the cousins he hasn't seen for years.


In honor of Dad's birthday, I am posting my toffee recipe. My friends, the Riedel family, used to make this every year at the holidays. I always loved it. She gave me the recipe, but I was always unsure about making it. The Christmas before Rich and I were married, Rich's dad and sister came to visit and make Christmas Cookies. His dad helped me make the toffee the first time. When I wanted to pull it off of the heat he kept telling me just a bit longer. I trusted him and it turned out great! The trick to good toffee is a candy thermometer and clear weather! I have requests yearly for my English Toffee!


English Toffee


1/2 pound of butter

1 tsp. vanilla

1 cup sugar

3 Tablespoons of cold water

2 Hershey bars

chopped pecans


Put butter, sugar, and cold water in a saucepan. Bring to full boil stirring constantly. Boil and stir until the temperature reaches 340 degrees and mixtures turns tan. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour onto a foil lined cookie sheet. Melt Hershey bars and spread on toffee. Sprinkle with pecans. Put in fridge to cool. Break into pieces. Best when stored in the fridge.

No comments: